Swamp Stompers Forums

Go Back   Swamp Stompers Forums > Public Forums > General Talk
First Page FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

Default Silver Lake - UPDATE!

Have any of you heard about the proposed additional fees at SL

They want to change the voucher system to an online system.

The company that wants to run it is a Canadian company, they would charge $10 / voucher, and the money over the cost of the system would stay with them as total profit.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=276589

http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php...hlight=voucher

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/loc...unes/20265257/

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...2833--,00.html

http://www.oceanacountypress.com/201...parks-outrage/

I have not heard anything about this until tonight, and it was almost passed today.

Sign a petition against this here

Last edited by swampjeep : 01-14-2015 at 07:34 AM.
swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Jeeppoor

I read about this last night.
If this goes through it will hurt silver lake.

Don't worry there's still two tires on the ground.

"Life's goal is not to reach the grave safely in a well preserved body. But to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride."
Jeeppoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Truckman

Hopefully with the news media involved there will be enough public outcry from people that actually use the park. I clicked on the WZZM link, and was able to sign a petition. The news story mentioned having 500 signatures on the petition. It's at 2100 now.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Brewmenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampjeep View Post

The company that wants to run it is a Canadian company, they would charge $10 / voucher, and the money over the cost of the system would stay with them as total profit.
Not exactly...

Quote:
The DNR says the $10 fee will pay for the online reservation system; money left over will be spent in the park.
As a person who goes there at most 3 days a year the extra $10 is no big deal, but I can see how it would be a problem for someone who goes there all the time. I like the idea that i could get my vouchers online before leaving home rather than have to wait in that line and maybe not get one.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

Bruce, I'm trying to figure this out, but I'm getting mixed information, one place stated the most recent information from the DNR was no money would come back to the park.

I'm not 100% opposed having an on-line system, but this does not seem good for us. I don't see it fixing even half of the problems with the current system, and actually create more problems then relieve.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Brewmenn

This article: http://www.oceanacountypress.com/201...parks-outrage/ is the only one I see claiming that an outside company would get all the money, and it seems to rely on one person for information.

I'm not sure what all the problems with the current system are, but this does seem to fix the problems i have with the current system, namely; having to drive all the way there without knowing if I'll actually get on the dunes, having to be there early in the weekend to get vouchers for the whole weekend, and having to get up early and wait in some crazy lone line to get a voucher.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

My understanding is this. From the government side, there are problems because on Friday and Saturday people park on the road early in the morning and leave their vehicles sitting there all day waiting for 9pm when the parking lot vouchers start being given, also some do the same on Friday for the dune ready vouchers which are given out at noon, then at these 3 times per week, it cost the local Sheriff 3 officers due to traffic, and the DNR several people to pass out the vouchers. Other then this would be cost associated with running the voucher center.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Jeeppoor

Boy is turning into a hot topic.
I hope the DRN listens to at least half of what the people are saying.
But I have a feeling this is a done deal.
We thing that if they go forward with this it will hurt the dunes and all the surrounding towns.
Right now Silver Lake brings in the most money to the state of all the state parks in the state.
But I think the DNR in Lansing just sees a cash cow and are trying to get as much as they can without understanding the problems with the dunes.

"Life's goal is not to reach the grave safely in a well preserved body. But to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride."
Old 12-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

DNR voucher meeting will be held at the golden township hall, 6-8 pm Jan 12. There will be about 6 DNR reps there from Lansing and locally as well as Rep Bumstead

this meeting is for user input, not the actual vote.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:12 AM   #10
Jeeppoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampjeep View Post
DNR voucher meeting will be held at the golden township hall, 6-8 pm Jan 12. There will be about 6 DNR reps there from Lansing and locally as well as Rep Bumstead

this meeting is for user input, not the actual vote.
I don't think I can make it. Work and therapy.
Anyone else going to be able to make it?